Форум Торонто - Torontovka.com
[Search] [Rules] [Register] [Login]
Forums » Archive » I like this author! 
Page: [1] 2 3 4 5 All
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:00:00 PM

He teaches me about life and at the same time he is so interesting! A few of the pearls that i copied:
"Mrs Bradley was a little thinner than before adn more pasty-faced; she looked tired and none too well. But Isabel was blooming. With her high colour, the rich brown of her hair, her shining hazel eyes, her clear skin, she gave an impression of such youth, of so much enjoyment of the mere fact of being alive, that you felt half inclined to laugh with delight. She gave me the rather absurd notion of a pear, golden and luscious, perfectly ripe and simply asking to be eaten.

"I dont forget that at all. Years ago, when I was young, I knew a man who was a doctor, and not a bad one either, but he didnt practise. He spent years burrowing away in the library of the British Museum and at long intervals produced a huge pseudo-scientific, pseudo-philosophical book that nobody read and that he had to publish at his own expense. He wrote four or ofive of them before he died and they were absolutely worthless. He had a son who wanted to go into the army, but there was no money to send him to Sadnhurst, so he had to enlist. He was killed in the war. He had a daughter too. She was very pretty and I was rather taken with her. She went on to the stage, but she had no talent and she traipsed around the provinces playing small parts in second-rate companies at a miserable salary. His wife, after years of dreary, sordid drudgery, broke down in health and the girl had to come home and nurse her and take on the drudgery her mother no longer had the strength for. Wasted, thwarted lives and all to no purpose. It's a toss-up when you decide to leave the beaten track. Many are called but few are chosen."

Feeling that I had been inadequate, I tried to say at least some small thing that would give her comfrot.
"You know, when one's in love," I said, "and things go all wrong, one's terribly unhappy and one thinks one won't ever get over it. But you'll be astounded to learn what the sea will do."
"What do you mean?" she smiled.
"Well, love isnt a good sailor and it languishes on a sea voyage."
"Do you speak from experience?"
"From the experience of a stormy past. When I suffered from the pangs of unrequitted love I immdediately got on an ocean liner."

"Moralists try to persuade us that the sexual instinct hasnt got so very much to do with love. They're apt to speak of it as if it were an epiphenomenon."
"WHat in God's name is that?"
"Well, there are psychologists who think that consiousness accompanies brain processes and is determined by them, but doesnt itself exert any influence on them. Something like the reflection of a tree in water; it couldnt exist without the tree, but it doesnt in any way affect the tree. I think it's all stuff and nonsense to say that there can be love without passion; when people say love can endure after passion is dead they're talking of something else, affection, kindliness, community of taste and interest, and habit. Especially habit. Two people can go on having sexual intercourse from habit in just the same way as they grow hungry at the hour they're accustomed to have their meals. Of course there can be desire without love. Desire isnt passion. Desire is the natural consequence of the sexual instnct and it isnt of any more importance than any other function of the human animal. Thats why women are foolish to make a song and dance if their husbands have an occasional flutter if the time and the place are propitious"
"Does that apply only to men?"
"If you insist I'll admit that what is sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose. The only thing to be said against it is that with a man a passing connexion of that sort has no emotional significance, while with a woman it has."
"It depends on the woman"
"Unless love is passion, it's not love, but something else; and passion thrives not on satisfaction, but on impediment. What
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:00:00 PM

dude, for fuck's sake, leave a name of the author
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:02:00 PM

Не читал, но Готично !!!

--
Ни стриляйте во львов, вас за ето посадют.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:06:00 PM

Somerset Maugham! Кто то стер мой прошлый топик про книжки, так эта почти единственная которую я имею на английском, т.к. друг моей мамы подарил ее ей когда в америку приехала, что бы английский учить. А я когда пойду в книжный магазин, хочу купить еще похожих авторов! Пока что эту книжку на 1\2 прочитал. Так что нужны вот такие же авторы.. Дюма так же учит жизни?
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:09:00 PM

Я всю свою жизнь прожил по образу д' Артаньяна. Дюма класно учить жизни.

--
Ни стриляйте во львов, вас за ето посадют.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:09:00 PM

посоветую навестить букиниста, там много классики.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:12:00 PM

Всю жизнь жил по "Ивану Ченкину", пиздец как учит жизни.

--
Красота спасет мир!
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:37:00 PM

Ченкин эт китаец выросший в СССРе ?

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:37:00 PM

а я по Карену Шахназарову "Курьер"
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:39:00 PM

хотя гоню, всю жизнь мелькали перед глазами мольба и немая просьба героев советского фильма Холодное Лето 53го...
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:39:00 PM

а я по "Сам лайк ит Хат" или в джазе только девушки =)
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:40:00 PM

Родственник, рубль гони ! Не, три, мне Афоня три должен!
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:42:00 PM

блиа скушна та как....

Ты видишь, видишь,
Умирает в огне преисподней
Сиреневый мальчик
Он сильно напуган, подавлен
Он пишет картину
Собственной кровью,
Своими слезами
И просит прощенья
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 3:47:00 PM

наик борзов, теперь я.

кто, взял мой хрустальный шар не спросив меня
кто мне яду подмешал среди бела дня......

--
Красота спасет мир!
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 7:06:00 PM

Сомерсет Моем кста действительно охуенен и рулит нипадецки
Page: [1] 2 3 4 5 All
Forums » Archive » I like this author! 
Copyright © 2020 Torontovka.com, All rights reserved